They have developed the following three kinds of tracking mechanism which is their prime business revenue model.
- Cost per click (CPC) model follows pay per view basis
- Omniture for traffic/trend monitoring keeps track of the incoming request types like Market, Product, Amount, No of months, Request origin (COBRAND) Yahoo, AOL and so on.
- Advertisements model hosts ads of various products in their main site and other satellite sites. These ads are chargeable on the cost per click model.
The pain point with the above revenue model here is that a simple functional change could break the entire revenue system (tracking mechanism). This could impact wrong parameters for CPC and Omniture calls getting stored in the DB, tracking of the cobrand listings getting missed and the existing call tracing mechanism having browser compatibility issues. So all these had to be manually tracked by QA by running huge set of more than 10000 tests which almost costs 3 â€“ 4 minutes for running each test case across all browsers. This manual effort requires lot of human interaction and concentration and sometimes results in missing the important tests due to tight test schedules.
There are existing Coded UI test developed using Visual Studio Team Test by the team had following severe limitation of:
- Supporting only IE browser
- No built in mechanism for storing test results
Hence a robust functional automation framework needs to be designed to overcome these challenges which will directly reduce the risk of huge revenue loss. Being a long term partner, they looked at Monocept to solve this humongous problem through right automation framework.
Automation scripts need to run on different browsers like Firefox and Chrome for which a new cost effective tool needs to be evaluated.
The tool also needs to minimize the manual intervention from the QA engineers. Hence the Test Automation exercise must:
- Be a seamless automation solution for executing tests across all browsers.
- Be easy to execute in batches without requiring manual intervention.
- Enable executing the regression suits of > 10000 test cases without slipping the test execution schedule.
- Have minimal learning curve and reduce investments in Training
- Help in better Resource Management.
- Reusing the tested-and-verified functional automation scripts generated in Visual Studio Coded UI for IE will save time rather than reinventing the wheel & developing an automation framework from scratch. Hence the scripts for supporting other browsers need to be generated. These new scripts have to be compatible with Visual Studio IDE to seamlessly integrate and execute all the scripts in one batch.